I read an interesting article from the Minneapolis Star Tribune that said “public pressure helped reduce smoking and can help slim down America”. When was the last time you went up to a fat person and said that your overeating and lack of exercise is harmful to your health and costing the health care system billions?
Obesity has increased dramatically in the US. CDC posted an alarming map of the US with obesity trends for the last 20 years. In 2006 only 6 states had less than 20% of the population classified as obese.
According to CDC, the health consequences of obesity include:
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Osteoarthritis (a degeneration of cartilage and its underlying bone within a joint)
- Dyslipidemia (for example, high total cholesterol or high levels of triglycerides)
- Type 2 diabetes
- Coronary heart disease
- Gallbladder disease
- Sleep apnea and respiratory problems
- Some cancers (endometrial, breast, and colon)
What are obese people doing wrong? It is simple – eating too much and not getting enough physical activity. Sounds easy to correct. It may be time to apply pressure.